Friday, January 14, 2011

Croissants and the Evolution of Email

Day 287

Another Friday at work, another plate of a treats on the kitchen table. Home made croissants. Until today, I didn't know there was such a thing as homemade croissants. Unlike last Friday, I didn't encounter anything healthy, so there was nothing left to do but dive right in. They were the antithesis of healthy, almost like eating a stick of butter. And I am one hundred percent positive I will never ever encounter a more amazing and heavenly croissant for the rest of my life.

When I got to my desk I intended to send thank you email to T, the nurse and former pastry chef responsible for the greatest croissants ever baked. And then I realized that was silly, I should walk to her office and tell her in person.

I work in a small place, about 20 employees. I remember when we first got email 15 years ago. It was on one computer and we all shared it. And I remember when we all got our own email addresses and how silly it felt that we were emailing each other instead of talking. But little by little, it has become the norm. And it still seems silly sometimes.

I went to T's office, a good fifty feet or so from mine, and thanked her. I said I probably would never eat another croissant in my life because I have had the best and I'm quite certain that nothing will ever compare. And while my croissant eating days my be over, I will try to continue to try to keep the emails to a minimum, and say my thank yous in person.

1 comment:

  1. Homemade croissants? Yes! I'm happier just knowing that they exist.

    ReplyDelete