Saturday, January 22, 2011

Kind Act, Spare the Embarrassment

Day 295

I took my son to his art class today and we stopped in the campus store to get him a soda before it started. Now, I actually think this treat could qualify as my act of kindness since we aren't so big on soda in our house. But a boy has to drink, especially during class I suppose, so I won't count that. While in the store I pondered my lack of a kind act for the day, and quickly looked around for an inexpensive item that someone might enjoy.

I bought a small pen shaped like a tube of paint for $1.50. Since this was an art school, I rationalized that someone might get a kick out of finding it. But the absolute honest truth is, it was the cheapest thing I could find in the store. I left it on a bench near a vending machine outside one of the classrooms with a note. “This is a pen. If you find it, it's yours. Consider this a random act of kindness.”

I did take care to leave it no where near where my son was taking his class. I could only imagine him feeling absolutely mortified if someone he knew discovered one of his mother's kind hijinks. He's not quite an adolescent yet but close enough to find me embarrassing at times.

Protecting him from possible humiliation, it just seemed like the kind to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment