Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Secret is Out, Sort Of

Day 281

There is a great little gift shop right next door to where my boys take karate. It is an old fashioned place, family owned and operated, with a little of this, and a little of that, something for everyone. One of those places that you just don't see anymore. After I dropped my kids off it occurred to me that this was the perfect place for an act of kindness. I went in and browsed around, getting some ideas for upcoming birthdays. Then I bought five little mini gourmet chocolate bars (although in my mind ANY chocolate is gourmet).

I asked the woman working (who was the owner's mother) to give them out to anyone who came in that looked like they might benefit from some chocolate. And really, who wouldn't?

Today was the first time since I started this project that I ever actually told someone about it while I was “in the act.” It has just seemed like that would be some kind self-promotion, I'm not sure why. But tonight, for some reason, perhaps because the store was quiet and it was just the the two of us talking, I told her a little bit about what I was doing and why. She offered to put the address of the blog on the counter, I declined. Free chocolate on a cold night is an act of kindness, but self promotion in the name of kindness is a different story altogether.

2 comments:

  1. I think it would have been ok to have the blog site listed on the counter cause then others can read it..bye for now
    carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. "in my mind any chocolate is gormet" haha LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete