Saturday, January 29, 2011

Trying To Trick The Groundhog

Day 302

Even though it was Give Flowers to a Stranger Day already this week, today I decided I needed to do it again. I saw some daffodils for sale and instantly became tired of winter.

I'm not usually a big complainer when it comes to weather. I love that I live in a place where there are four seasons and each of them usually seems to go by quickly. But this year between trying to negotiate driving around roads narrowed to one lane because of the snow, and feeling like I am taking my life in my hands every time I try to pull out in traffic around huge piles, I'm getting a little winter weary. Even my dogs are looking at me with “you've got to be kidding me” faces when I let them out and only place they can go without the snow being over their heads is the driveway (and they're not those little drop kick dogs either).

So when I saw the daffodils, I saw spring. And I had to have it. I stopped for coffee this afternoon I gave the bouquet to the young woman who waited on me, and told her they represented my hopes that perhaps the groundhog wouldn't see his shadow next week, and that spring was around the corner. Ironically, another storm is forecast for Groundhog's day. Thus I suspect my kind gesture will not be rewarded with mild weather.

However, it was rewarded with a coupon for a free cup of coffee that the woman gave me by way of thanks. And next to a melting snow pack, there is nothing I love more than coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment