Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Kind, But Not Really Helpful

Day 291


It was a snowy, sleety, rainy mess of a day around here. My kids had the day off from school, so we were home bound, waiting for our driveway to get plowed (it's a long one, so shoveling or snow blowing is not an option). Around midday the dogs started barking, indicating the plow was here and they we would soon be free.

About 20 minutes after the dogs had signaled the arrival of the plow, I noticed the truck about midway up our driveway, not moving. We (the dogs and I) went to investigate.

Apparently, when K (the man driving the plow) tried to back up, his mirrors were iced over and he misjudged, and was stuck over the edge of the driveway. He was on his cell phone trying to find a tow truck, with no luck.

It was one of those times where I really, really wanted to help in some way, but couldn't think of any way I could contribute to solving the problem. I offered for him to come into the house while he was calling around but he said he would stay with the truck, confident he could find a tow soon.

I went back in the house, packed up some cookies and a large travel mug of coffee and sent the boys back down the driveway to deliver them. It didn't get the truck unstuck but I hope it made the wait slightly less awful. AAA came within the hour, the truck was freed, driveway was plowed and we were free to leave.

Sometimes it's kind to be helpful,and sometimes you have to settle for just being kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment